Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: front and rear elements
From: "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 21:20:05 -0500

I know whether scratches on the front show varies with focal length.  I know
of a particular 10mm lens for 16mm movie film that had a very large front
element that went right to the edge of the rim.  All but one of these lenses
that I had contact with had a scratch or nick and it always showed.  That
lens has so much depth of field that it was fixed focus.   Although the one
clean one was soft.

I don't remember problems with the gel filters that went behind the lens.
Maybe that is just my memory.  I do know of a problem one guy had.  He was
shooting a dilapadated building with a magazine-fed news film camera.  While
he was rolling he opened the door to check to see if his daylight filter was
in.  He closed the door and the front of the building collapsed! . . . He
went home and changed his pants.  True story I saw the film!

Mike Durling
KD4KWB
http://www.widomaker.com/~durling/