Subject: Re: [Leica] Eggleston: art photography
From: Harrison Mcclary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 21:08:46 -0600

once upon a time Donal Philby wrote:

>> The difference between Faulkner and Eggleston is that even with the
>> depth of Faulner's prose just reading it aloud is music to my ears.
>> Eggleston is equivalent to white noise.

AMEN.  We had to look at Eggleston ad nauseum in college and I could never
figure out just what in the heck was so great about his stuff...middle of
the day snaps that look like he was not even looking through his camera.

If that is art I'll pass.  Someone wrote that there is a lot of garbage
photography out there, well IMHO Eggleston was one of the first to pass off
a load of crap as art and people bit hook, line, and sinker.
- --
Harrison McClary
http://www.mcclary.net