Subject: Re: [Leica] Eggleston: art photography
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 15:49:10 -0800

>I think Faulkner is a marvelous example and an another one would be James
>Joyce. If you compare his two great books: Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake...
>
>John Collier

john,

for an interesting take on the 'wake' and similar works, read eco's 'the
open work.' for those who are willing to entertain the idea, it is a study
of works - literary, musical, paintery - that do not seek to communicate a
specific message, that refute the possibility of closure, that remain -
like most good art - open to discussion and interpretation, and are to a
certain extent dependant on the reader's/auditor's/viewers interaction.

such work does not seek to tell a story, divulge a message, communicate a
specific intent, nor does it deny that more discursive type of work. it is
simply another mode of artistic expression that, like it or not, exists and
is perhaps more than any other the hallmark of our time.

yo!

guy