Subject: Re: [Leica] Chromogenic nightmares
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 11:00:44 -0800

Jeffcoat Photography wrote:

> Someone told me this once, as to it's factualness? If your running your films,
> C41, through a one hour lab they don't bleach fix as long and therefore the
> films don't last as long. However if you run your film through a pro lab, they
> do bleach fix properly and the films last much longer. We are pulling and
> printing reorders on 20 and 28 yr. old color negs. That are just as good as the
> day they were first run. As these chromogenic films are C41 based I don't see
> that they would be any different. If this is bad info I stand corrected,
> please put down the brick bats!
> Cheers Wilber GFE

I've had some trouble printing color negs which are 5 to 10 years old but that
is because one color layer is fading more than the other color layers are
fading. I assumed that a monochrome C41 which would be a mono layered film those
problems would not be such a problem at all.
But then again I really don't use the stuff I've only recently been considering
getting into it again for it's possible increased scaniblitiy. And the stuff has
been out long enough for it to have been tweaked.
I remember the old XP1 which if you overexposed ever so slightly (and they told
you to pick any ASA you cared for) the negs would block up so densely that it
was common practice to just turn your enlarger on and go have lunch come back
and develop your print. Maybe those negs have faded, they could have used some fading.
Mark Rabiner