Subject: [Leica] 90mm/f2 Summicron-M APO ASPH and 90mm/f2.8 Tele-Elmarit : Head to head comparisons proposal
From: Pitak Chenkosol <pitakc@ee.pdx.edu>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 18:16:01 -0800 (PST)

Mark, here is my proposal. Please let me know what you think.

As soon as I receive my 90/f2 APO ASPH lens, I'll bring it over and we can settle
this thread once and for all. Mount a camera on a tripod then take some test shots
using both lenses and post them for everybody to decide for themselves. Because the
Elmarit cannot go below f2.8 and Summicron at f2.8 is one stop above its widest
aperture, the widest aperture test may not be fair to the Elmarit. Can anyone suggest
some meaningful test patterns(f-stops)? Send them in, folks. I will compile then post
them for a public review and conduct the test afterward. This way we can assure that
the test will cover most if not all of what people have doubts about the above lenses.

I am still waiting for the 90mm/f2 APO ASPH to arrive after a really long back order.
The test will be conducted as soon as I receive my lens. You just gotta wait unless
somebody has access to both lenses and is willing to do it first.

Regards,

Pitak

> On the official Leica site???? Erwins tests indicated the 90 APO ASPH M is
> excellent wide open.
> I'd believe Erwin first until proven otherwise. But I'm still keeping my
> Elmarit!
> ribit ribit
> Mark

- --
Pitak Chenkosol, Dept. Electrical Eng.,|  " I was born not knowing and have
Portland State University,             |    only had a little time to change
P.O. Box 751, Portland, OR 97207-0751. |    that here and there."
E-mail: pitakc@ee.pdx.edu              |                Richard P. Feynman