Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: UV Ghostless filters
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 16:10:35 -0800

>"A.H.SCHMIDT" wrote:
>>
>> At the time, when the Pentax Spotmatic was released, Pentax advertised a
Ghostless
>> UV filter.
>>
>> This filter did not have a flat ground glass, but it was curved. A
similar curve
>> like the front element of a lens. Pentax in their leaflet says:   "The
Ashai

At 12:57 PM 2/13/00 -0800, Mark Rabiner wrote:

>Would not introducing a curve into a filter make it act like a lens? I'm
>surprised it did not change the "power" of the lens!!
>Mark Rabiner

Jim is writing:

The interesting point is that Ashai stated, unequivocally, that filters can
cause ghosting and reflections, and that they have solved the problem by
making a different filter.

Two facts. Filters cause ghosting and reflections. Ashai's new design is
"supposed" to remedy the problem.

If it had been so good, the patent would have run out, and everyone would
be making them now. But alas... filters still cause ghosting and
reflections. Ashai's design didn't work.

Best solution... use filters, but be careful where you point them.

Jim