Subject: Re: [Leica] Apo-Summicron-M 90/2.0 ASPH tested by CDI
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 16:22:17 -0500

I don't think we are talking abou the same thing.

According to the MTF charts pictured in the pdf brochure on the APO 90
downloadable from Leica, the curve for the 40 lpm at f2.8 never dips below
65% until you get about 10 mm from the center of the frame.  Then it dips
to about 60 until very close to the frame's edge.    At f5.6 it stays
around 73% until around, well, almost right to the edge.  Of course the 5.6
valus is better; it is for every lens.  But the f2 curves are no slouch.
It would be interesting to compare these curves to the earlier Summicron,
but I can't find any.

The best thing to do of course is to compare photographs, not charts.  For
me, the photographs taken with my APO 90 at f2 show a significantly
superior performance compared to any other wide open leica lens I own.

Dan C.