Subject: [Leica] My ongoing (unscientific) Epson paper tests
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 11:18:28 -0500

Over the last year or so I have been testing various papers for my Epson
Photo printer.   Not too scientific, but they seem to correlate with tests
done by Wilhelm Ass. for papers that he has reported on
(http://wilhelm-research.com/index.htm).  I conduct my tests by covering
half a print with aluminum foil, and leaving it undisturbed in a spare room
illuminated by indirect daylight.  On sunny days the brightness levels can
be quite bright.  At other times, less so.  As I said, not too scientific,
but it should provide an indication of what to expect, as well as
comparative values between different papers.

In any case, I have been testing the new Epson Heavy Weight Matte paper for
the last few months.  Since Dec 14, 1999, a print I left in the "testing
chambre" has shown absolutley no indication of any fading whatsoever.  By
way of comparison, a sheet of Konica QP paper faded terribly in the same
period (this paper is the WORST, stay away!, however, Wilhelm has indicated
that he is currently testing an improved version of the QP paper, so there
is hope).  The new improved Epson Photo paper faded a little, but I think
that if the whole print had faded equally, it probably wouldn't have been
that noticeable.  This doesn't excuse the paper, of course.

In the latest report from Wilhelm, the Matte paper used with the new 870 or
1270 printers can expect to last 24-26 years, so this is indeed a big
improvement since the earlier generations of inks and papers.

Dan C.