Subject: Re: [Leica] Weddings
From: Mike Quinn <mlquinn@san.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 16:24:15 -0800

Amen. Those pins still hurt.

From very limited experience, I think you have to be smart, invisible,
charming, technically perfect, and able to anticipate everything a minute
before it happens. Then you have to be in two places at once, insert
yourself without ruining the moment, capture fantasy rather than the
reality, and charm your way out again.

I can't imagine how I ever thought I could do it.

The worst was the first. It was a wedding and reception in a dark church. I
decided to shoot 'chromes (when you goof up, its best to go all the way).
The pastor watched me patiently testing the lighting during practice the day
before, and then turned the lights down on the morning of the ceremony and
announced that flash would not be permitted in the church. (Good Idea,
beautiful ceremony, nice music, flash would have intruded, but...)

No, the really worst part was showing them the proofs and having them select
all the bad ones. After that, I stuck a few more pins in the voodoo doll
myself.

Mike Quinn

Mark Rabiner mused: