Subject: Re: [Leica] Something for everyone
From: John <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 07:43:33 +0000

Mike Gardner wrote:

> Jim Brick wrote:
> >

> > And I'm adding to Mark's verbiage:
> > (Snip)
> > Help me, Rhonda, help, help me Rhonda...
> >
> > Dope-ler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
> > come at you rapidly.
> >(snip)
>
> Jim's losing it!  Quick!  Get him some Sharpinol!  He's OD'ing on UV!
> :) :)
>
> Mike Gardner
> (Big filters make great drink coasters, protects your table top!)
This is a truly funny thread, and I don't want to ruin it with a healthy dose
of reality, but I have seen literally hundreds of Leica lenses pass across my
table at the Boston Photographica, and I can tell you all that front element
scratches and abrasions and cleaning marks are epidemic, even on some of the
relatively newer lenses.  I see far fewer such scratches, cleaning marks and
abrasions on lenses of similar vintage from other common lens makers.  So use
or don't use your UV filters, but older Leica lenses seem to have been
especially susceptible to coating damage, even beyond the old story of
customers not knowing what the blue coating on their lenses was and trying to
buff it off.
John