Subject: RE: [Leica] Lens Cleaning
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 21:33:33 -0800

Austin wrote:

<<<<[Austin] Thanks for the URL....  Any suggestion on what is the best lens
cleaning cloth, and where to get it?  I really do hate the lens tissue,
it, as the 'article' says, is hard and I can only guess, abrasive.>>>>>

aaaaaaaaaaaah the old lens cleaning story! ;)

OK Guys this is the old campaigner with the lens cleaning item of the real
world.  I know the old timers have been holding their breath (maybe nose)
:) for me to post this for new folks. :)

Look all you new guys and gals, well I don't know much about the material
in ladies underpants, however, I'm well acquainted to that of the guys.

Look, lens cleaning cloth only has to be soft and spit clean, therefore
every day you wear your cotton underwear you are producing the finest lens
cleaning material in the world. They're not hand made, they're, "BOTTOM
MADE!" :)

You sit on them , they become softer and thinner and finally you're ready
to throw them away. Instead of that, recycle!  After washing of course,
take a pair of scissors, cut out the biggest bottom part piece you can,
Voila! the world's finest lens cleaning cloth!  Breath on your lens and
circular rub it clean.

Oh yes, please don't come back and tell me this will ruin your lens unless
you've done it regularly for close to 40 years on all kinds of lenses from
Speed Graphic to Minilux, Noctilux, Summilux and Aspherical. And nary a
scratch or skritch!

Would I lie to you guys and gals? Not on your life. You want good cheap
lens cleaning cloth? Now you know the easiest way.

Thank you, I knew you'd appreciate that.
Your welcome, any time. :)

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant