Subject: Re: [Leica] Kindermann to lose Leica
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 18:46:26 -0500

I've lived through about 4 Leica distributers here in Canada since buying
my first Leica.  I must agree that Kindermann has been far and away the
most responsive to it's customers (the worst being a forgotten company
owned by the now defunct Queen Street Camera).

On the other hand, I have received excellent service from Lisle-Kelco when
my Hasselblad has needed service (they are the Canadian Hasselblad
distributers).   Long after my Hasselblad was out of warranty, they
arranged for a local repair shop to give me a free loaner of a film
magazine, while trying to repair a problem with film scratching at their
facility in Toronto.  They eventually fixed the problem, after about three
months, for no charge.

If Kindermann is no longer an option, I'm glad that Lisle-Kelco is picking
up the account.   Hopefully L-K will purchase the stock of parts now owned
by Kindermann, and perhaps get some of the excellent Leica trained
technicians currently working for Kindermann.

Dan C.

At 03:42 PM 11-02-00 -0700, John Collier wrote:
>Kindermann Canada has the last Leica official repair depot in the world that
>will service every leica ever made. Many of the people have been with Leica
>way back (and some even longer) to when all the M cameras were made here. It
>was Werner Schmalz of Kindermann who pushed Leica for years to rationalise
>the 135s into a single f3.4 offering. He was also the source on why the M
>winder was discontinued, announced then discontinued again. He showed me how
>to properly load my M4-2 and no misloads since then. When I had problems
>with my new projector, he emailed with HIS phone number to call. When Leica
>USA has technical problems with older Leica equipment, they do not call
>Solms, they call Werner. I have been at many Leica clinics run by him and
>was always impressed how he would eloquently encourage people to try Leica
>but would never say that the older stuff was not good enough and that you
>needed new to have the best. I was looking at a 135 tele-elmarit vs the APO
>and he said they are all good lenses even the Hektor. The repair service was
>absolutely fantastic. Once they did not have the parts for my M2 in stock so
>they sent it back freight free, even though I offered to pay, and phoned ME
>to tell me the parts were in! I had dealt through the local dealer so they
>would have had to phone the dealer to get my number. That is service. One of
>the big reasons I was not considering a Hexar RF is the wonderful support I
>get from Kindermann which no other camera company has even come close to
>matching. Well I had  better stop now but just imagine right about now the
>new distributor is hiring some smuck and sending them to a three month (or
>what ever) school and then letting them loose on my cameras!! It does not
>bear thinking about.
>
>John Collier
>

>> From: "Robert Bedwell" <rlb@triad.rr.com>
>> Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 16:33:05 -0500
>> Subject: Re: [Leica] Kindermann to lose Leica
>>
>> John:
>>
>> Would you kindly explain what affect this will have on Leica users in
Canada