Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R8 brick (millstone?)
From: Jeffcoat Photography <jeffcoatphoto@sumter.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 12:58:54 -0500

I think a comparison to the SL2 is a better one as to size and weight. This is also a
unit that is enjoying a demand by users as well as collectors. Several N---- and C----
users have looked at my R8    with Motor and commented "Wow  a LEICA- Man this thing is
SOLID" I had to resort to threats of physical harm to get it out of their hands.
I would not think ideas for improvement with this Excellent camera are falling on Deaf
Ears at Leica. I think we'll see improvements over the next few years. BTW Some of us
have Bigger Hands.
Cheers Wilber GFE http://www.jeffcoatphotography.com

Emanuel Lowi wrote:

> Hans-Peter Lammerich wrote:
>
> "To some extend, the R8 resembles the history of the M5. The customers did not
> like the additional bulk and shape in comparison to the classic M body. Leica
> then discontinued the M5, re-issued the M4 and customers had to wait for the M6,
> until Leica was able to find a supplier for the TTL device who could
> economically design and manufacture for a small production number and who was
> able to shoehorn the device into the classic M body."
>
> H-PL - have you hooked those thoughts right out of my brain today? I have often
> thought that the R8 is the M5 redux.
>
> But do not misconstrue: unlike your feelings for the R8, I LOVE the M5. It is a great
> camera designed with ergonomic genius, high precision and some special features that
> mark it as unique in the Leica family tree. Yet therein lies its (and the R8's)
> problem: it is an odd-looking evolutionary dead-end, shaped without respect for
> Leica's traditional qualities and probably without much thought about where the
> design might lead, if anywhere. This is what is so worrisome again today.
>
> The M5 marketplace failure probably endangered Leitz Wetzlar's viability more than we
> know. I bet Cohn has the smarts to prevent the same from happening all over again to
> Solms because of the R8.
>
> Barnack made Leica's reputation by designing a S-M-A-L-L camera, remember?
>
> It is worth noting, however, that  25 years after production was cancelled, the M5
> has won over a whole new generation of buyers who recognize its unusual virtues.
> Prices for nice M5 bodies are now equal to (or higher than) prices for an M6 in
> equivalent condition. The tale was quite different just a few years ago.
>
> Perhaps the wiser youngsters of today will be hunting down R8 cameras sometime after
> 2020!
>
> Emanuel Lowi
> Montreal

- --