Subject: RE: [Leica] Lenshood v. filters
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 12:04:24 -0500

It's called INSURANCE.... ;-)

[Austin] I've been through this...they only consider damage that can be
proven to impair the FUNCTION of the insured item to be covered.  Cosmetics
are not covered.  One of our photographers dropped a Nikon, it had a dent
the size of Kentucky...but didn't impair its function at all...they said it
wasn't covered.  The resale value of the camera was severely reduced by
this damage..but that's was just too bad for us.

Let's see... A Noctilux with no damage to the glass, or a Noctilux with a
scratch in the front element....would you pay the same for both?  Even
though, you KNOW it has no effect on the actual image...  Cheap insurance,
in my book, is a filter...