Subject: [Leica] LTM repairs and filters...
From: "Jason Hall" <JASON@jbhall.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 16:49:16 -0000

> Jeff Segawa wrote:

> I recently purchased a nice IIIf RD with
unanchored shutter curtains for
> a very good price. John Van Stelton tells
me that original shutter
> curtains are really "too crispy" to simply
cement back into place, and
> that I'm looking at a $350 bill! Though
costly, I'm having the work done
> because I want to be able to admire my IIIf
("Heliar Camera") with film
> running through it!
> - --
>
> Jeff Segawa
> Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado

Jeff

Your post made me realise what a good deal I
had on a recent IIIC overhaul, don't mean to
gloat but Id like to recommend the technician
(ex Leica) to the rest of the lug, although I
know that many on the list are already
familiar with his work.  Peter Grissafi of
CRR in Luton England charged the equivalent
of 240 USD to replace the shutter curtains,
re-silver my dim rangefinder, complete CLA
and sub-contract out separating and
re-cementing the front element of a Summitar
with a bad balsam fracture.  The body had
badly flaking chrome, in addition to all the
above he plated the exposed brass with some
type of nickel coloured treatment to disguise
the blemishes.  The camera is now quite
superb, the shutter is almost silent (unlike
my other IIIC) and works a treat as intended
by Leitz.  My only gripe concerns the
rangefinder re-silvering, I suspect it may be
re-coated a little too heavily as there is
now a distinct circle of higher brightness in
the centre of the rangefinder.  It is far
more usable than it was though and quite
excellent with an orange filter.  Thoroughly
recommended to anyone requiring this kind of
work.

On the current filter topic, I took some
photographs of the eclipse in the summer
(only partial here) using a leica R body with
an independent lens I'm too ashamed to name,
I didn't have a ND filter but decided to fire
a few frames off with whatever I could
improvise, I taped an arc welding filter to
the lens hood and the resultant ghosting is
very strong, distinct double image in many of
the shots, in fact I wondered if I'd
inadvertently double exposed but its def a
reflection.  I'm divided on the UV issue, can
see the point of not using them but like that
extra (maybe false!) security.

Jason Hall