Subject: [Leica] UVagain.
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 15:32:32 -0800

>I'm in the same dilemma with my new gear that I'm about to pick - do I
>degrade the image or do I risk having to shellout £300 for a new front
>element? If you are an amateur its a hard decision to make.
>
>Julian

julian,

what are planning to do to your front element? hope you're not going to try
ted's patented noctibovine coating!

i always kept a uv filter on all my lenses, until two things happened: i
started getting ghost-image reflections in back-lit situations, and then
was subjected to a raging uv thread here on the lug. one lugger wrote that
he used the uv filter like a condom: for protection. i believe m small
responded: 'for protection against what, the air?'

i have not used a uv filter since, and regularly run around with an m6
around my neck, exposing my unprotected $$$ leica lenses with their
virginal front elements to the four winds.

i've never damaged the front element.

i should add that i always use a lens hood, and that helps (except the
retractable hood on the current summicron 50, which retracts a bit too
easily, imho).

guy