Subject: [Leica] Fay Godwin
From: "Rod Fleming" <rodfleming@sol.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 20:59:37 -0000

Hi

Mike Gil wrote

"I just bought a book called Land with photographs by Fay Godwin.  I was
stunned by the exquisite b&w photographs, they have to be some of the most
powerfull landscape images I've ever seen.  Pardon my ignorange if she is
well known but I dont know how she is.  According to the biography she
should be 70 years old by now and has published over 10 books, that was in
1985.  Can some one out there shed more light on this person, is she still
alive, other books since then, accomplishments & techniques.

She has to be one of the greats and if not a she has been hiding from us at
least in the States."

Fay is British, and was for many years the doyenne of landscape photography
in this country. "Land" was certainly her most acclaimed work, but she has
been pretty prolific. I photographed her  I think about 1989 -ish on the
launch of another book, and she was very interesting. I suppose she would be
about 70 by now, but I did not ask- left that to the blunt.

As far as I remember, "Land" and all of the subsequent work (at least all of
the subsequent work that I've seen), was made using a Hassie.

In UK terms, her work is very well known, but I think most UK photogs know
that the US.......well, guys and gals, I don't want to hurt anybody's
feelings, but let's put it this way- if you're a UK photog and you want to
get known in the US, you have to move there. (Harry Benson et alia, hands
up.)

And, yes, I agree- her work is very strong indeed.

Cheers

Rod