Subject: Re: [Leica] Latest RF Rumors
From: Malcolm McCullough <blayne@mbox2.singnet.com.sg>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 01:03:26 +0800

LEICAMAN56@aol.com rumoured:

>> - Minolta is resurrecting the CLE.  It will be identical to the original
CLE,
>> only some of the parts will be made out of newer materials.

I had the whole CLE kit and sold it with no regrets. There was, to me, a
serious flaw with the CLE - you could either have auto-exposure (with no AE
lock) or no metering at all. Hopefully, if the CLE does come back Minolta
will add an AE lock at the very least, and possibly metering in manual
exposure. I was asked my opinions of the CLE by a Minolta rep shortly after
I bought it. He acknowledged that there was a problem and that it would be
sorted out with a second version. I guess that there weren't enough sales
to justify a CLE2.

The metering pattern could be improved as well. The dotty averaging pattern
could be replaced by a more useful and more sensitive M6 style central dot.
The electronics could cope with the difference between the reading from the
shutter curtain and the reading from the film.

I'm not sure that I'd buy one though - not even for mountaineering. I'm
happy with my M6s for most things, the Rollei 35S when weight is critical
and the N***n AWAF for those times when you need a camera that can look
after itself in all conditions.

I was disappointed with all three Rokkor lenses.

Regards
Malcolm
Singapore until 18 Feb
then back to Dear Old Blighty