Subject: Re: [Leica] Rangefinder patch flare
From: Jeffcoat Photography <jeffcoatphoto@sumter.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 09:15:30 -0500

Kip: Shame on you, a real question about Leica's, what shall we do? This is
something new to me (your problem) and as I've only used the 6 less than 1/2
dozen times I don't remember having this problem. Question, when you notice
this is your camera angle up toward the light source? If so could this be
helped by using some type of a hood over/around that ribbed panel. This
would shade with out blocking. I've not read on and someone may have
answered this. As the M6 TTL will find a home with me soon I'm interested in
the answer to this. Is this a major problem with the M series.
Cheers Wilber GFE
 http://www.jeffcoatphotography.com

Kip Babington wrote:

> At the risk of posting something on topic these days, and with apologies
> if I've ignored an answer that has been provided previously, but is
> there an easy self-help solution for the rangefinder patch going white
> on the M6 when the light strikes it from a certain angle?  I've read
> comments about this phenomenon since I subscribed to the list, but
> haven't been bothered by it until recently (my daughter has begun riding
> in horse shows in indoor arenas, where the sodium vapor or some other
> type of intense ceiling lighting frequently blanks out the rangefinder.)
>
> I gather the problem stems from the ribs in the translucent panel, and I
> know that if I cover the panel completely I lose the frame lines.  Is
> there some other well known temporary cure that keeps the frame lines
> but tones down the flare in the rangefinder?
>
> Sorry for the interruption.
>
> Cheers,
> Kip

- --