Subject: [Leica] Welcome Peter Z : This is the LUG. You will be assimilated.
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 01:49:59 -0500

Peter Zak wrote, in part:

> So far the LUG is a waste of time - I would suggest that those people
> wanting to discuss any of the above topics should find a user group that
> would better cater for those needs.

Why?  The LUG caters to all of them at the same time, with the added bonus
of also revolving (at odd moments) around Leica cameras... ;)

Seriously, though, if you give it a little more than four days (which in the
world of newsgroups and mailing lists is not enough to tell ANYTHING about a
group, except traffic volume) you'll find that LUGGERS are a very
interesting, quite eclectic, extremely knowledgable, often highly
experienced, and usually very helpful bunch of people.

Yes, there are strong personalities here.  Yes, we are an opinionated bunch
at times.  But there are some increadibly talented photographers on this
group and, for me, waiting two weeks and 999 messages for that one,
priceless gem from one of them is well worth it.

I'm not going to make a list of names, because lists invariably forget
someone important, but suffice to say that I have learnt a tremendous amount
about Leicas and photography from both old and new members.  People put
their photos online and dozens of times these have inspired me to go out and
take my own pictures.  And I have made some wonderful friends, online and
offline, as a result of this mailing list.

As for the off topic stuff, I suspect that most people on this group have
more interests than just Leicas -- and feel quite passionate about those
interests too.  So, occasionally the conversation will stray into one of
those areas, because we are all delighted when we meet a soul mate.  I for
one happen to love Single Islay Malt Scotch, b&w photography, travelling,
good literature, independent movies, and a whole range of other things.  At
the same time, we are well aware of the name of this mailing list and do
exhibit some restraint (although it may not seem like much at times ;)

I for one welcome that.  I'd MUCH, MUCH rather read about Tom A's wild
experiences of driving an MGB in the middle of winter through Sweden than
four variations of rewind crank design, even though the former is
technically off topic and the latter is on.  Leicas are about passion and
living, but a lot of other things are too.

What does it take?  Well, I've subscribed, on and off, since the spring of
1998.  Give it some time, have a little patients, and I think you will come
to enjoy the LUG.

Welcome aboard!

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     | "Very funny Scotty.  Now beam down
Interactive Systems Designer      | my clothes."
email: mvhoward@mac.com           |