Subject: [Leica] A question about my "new" IIIf
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 00:49:30 -0500

Mike J sold it to me (with its trusty companion collapsible coated
f/3.5 Elmar) just a few days ago.  He wasn't fibbing when he suggested
it was in unusually good shape -- it's Just Lovely.

I'm spending a disturbing amount of time gazing at this object and
making it go.  It's much too pleasing.

I've puzzled out most of its workings.  The other day, I discovered
experimentally both what that odd lever by the rewind knob is and why
the rangefinder was often a mite hard to use.  H'mm -- pleasing that
the rangefinder isn't intrinsically fuzzy, but a potential 'nother
extra step before getting a picture taken.

I was wondering, though, if someone in the assembled company could
offer me a hint about the one piece of gizmory which remains a
mystery: the little set of numbers, counting off in evens from 0 to
20, around the base of the shutter-speed dial, and their associated
movable ring.  Whazzit?