Subject: Re: [Leica] Rangefinder patch flare
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 18:28:17 -0700

I have not tried it myself but it sounds like a fun project.

John Collier

Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 20:37:21 +0100
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Subject: [Leica] M6 RF flare solution

I have had several sleepless nights after I read about LUGgers abandoning
picture taking due to rangefinder flare but now I can sleep again as I have
devised a contraption that not only solves this problem but also the red
dot problem, all at the same time. It is suggested that you use black tape
if you have a black body and grey tape if you have a chrome body, but you
may also use plastic, cardboard, metal or any other material you fancy.

If you use tape, cut a two inch piece and put the right hand portion
horizontally over the red dot above the lens. The remainder of the tape is
an inch longh, and you fold it, sticky side to sticky side, but so  that
1/16 inch is free at the end of the tape, and this part you attach as close
as you can to the little window underneath the time knob. You now have a
one-sided anti flare device. You then make a simlar piece of tape and
attach it on the other side of the window, and finally you make a little
roof which you affix to the top of the body just above the little window,
and also to the two flaps you have just attached to the right and the left
of the little window. You do not need the bottom portion unless you make
portrait portraits and turn the bottom side of the camera towards the sun.
There is no problem if you do portrait portraits and turn the top side of
the camera towards the sun. The same is the case for landscape portraits.

This works real well, and makes your camera look like you were a
professional photographer. AA would have used one if he had had an M6 (late
model, with flare).