Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica or medium format...
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 13:30:16 -0800

"Birkey, Duane" wrote:

I know some of you are going to say I should be using something larger to
make 30x40 prints....

One....... I sold my Hasselblad kit to buy Leica....

and two.....I am not shooting this with my limited 4x5 kit....

Three...  I'm taking pictures of people in places where a larger system is
more than a bit awkward and lighting is pretty much out of the question....

Four....  The normal viewing distance will be 10 to 15 feet...

Five.... It is the subject matter that is important.... Grain is not so
objectional....

Six.... I'm a bit nuts... but my lab says they have done it before and they will
look great...

So.... I'll let you know when they are done...

Duane

I've gone though several boxes of 30x40 (color) paper and a good many of these
images were from 35mm negs.
In most cases I did not shoot the shots with that kind of blowup in mind i.e.
not necessarily slow films and tripods or even being careful to use faster
shutter speeds.
But everything looks great that size you mount them on foam core and they are
quite handy dandy unless there's a wind. And you can use the flip sides for fill
reflectors I do that all the time.
I printed them all myself at a rental lab here in Portland, U Develop. Easy.
And I've done some of this on that color paper from black and white negs. I had
to match "eggplant" once so I brought one into the lab with me.
Guess what? If you walk right up to the print you can see grain! Amazing! The
brush stroke of photography (man ray?)
I think I'll print my next portfolio on 30x40 paper!, in many ways you've got
more leeway. Except just getting through the door. But it might be easier
getting through the door cause they would think you were making a delivery!
Beats that accordion thing that unfolds out of your wallet like Bullwinkel!
mark