Subject: RE: [Leica] M3 RF/VF Repair (was Nothing Lasts forever, but...)
From: John Campbell <jkcampbell@mmm.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:45:08 -0600

I asked the same question a while ago, here's one ofe the responses I got:

>Hi John, I have a Leica M2 that when you look thru the viewfinder you can
>see thru the small rangefinder patch and the framelines but the rest of the
>window is completely black. I've been told that it may be seperation of the
>elements in the view finder. Have you seen this before? Can this be fixed?
>If so could give me a cost estimate and some info on how to send
>it in. Thanks John Campbell

Dear Mr. Campbell,

Yes,  I am very familiar with this condition, and I can usually repair
it.  It is actually the beam splitter that has separated, allowing light
from the small window to come through, but not the large VF window.  The
only time I cannot repair it, is if the semi-silvering has deteriorated,
but about 75% of the time its repairable and usually cost about $250 +
shipping $10 and I am running about 4 to 6 weeks turnaround.

Ship it UPS, US Mail or FedEx, whichever is more convenient for you.
Pack it well with bubble wrap, styrofoam peanuts, newspaper balled up or
whatever and ship it to the address below.

John van Stelten
Focal Point Inc.
1017 South Boulder Road
Suite E-2