Subject: RE: [Leica] car stories OT
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 09:42:28 -0000

I had an R4 (rather than an R8) and after a particularly longish trip, some
300 miles or more, found myself  at the destination, Plymouth, a largish
city. Upon the arrival at the first large roundabout I heard a noise and
quickly found I had no clutch control, the cable had snapped.
Recalling the 'racing changes' favoured by Grand Prix drivers I surprised
myself by managing to drive the next three and half miles into the city
centre through traffic lights and more roundabouts all without a clutch!
I ended up having to stall at one set of lights, started the car in neutral
but couldn't then engage first, so then had to stop the motor, engage first
and start the car! Lucky the battery was well charged, and off we went!
'Kangaroo starts' again after years of driving. Nice memories though...
'Found the local dealers and fitted a new cable, it was more exciting
without it though!

Jem