Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 cars
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 20:09:31 EST

Dale, I have nothing against MGA's, except the fule-pump! I used to carry a
hammer that was used to bang on the fuel pump cover when it stopped. It
invariably did this at busy intersections or at trafficlights. It would
happily idle until the light turned green and then die!
 As for cold weather trips in MGA's! A friend of mine and I bought one in
Stockholm and we were driving it back to southern Sweden. It was January and
although cold, no snow. We outfitted ourselves with a couple of leather
flight suits that we found at a surplus sale. They were very fancy with built
in electrical wires for heating the pilot (probably made for old biplanes).
The car had no top and no windshield (we were converting it to a track racer
and the price was low). We picked up the car and drove off, after a while we
got cold, plugged in the suits in the cigarette lighter outlet and found out
that the suits were 6 volt and the car put out 12 volt. It was an interesting
trip, every 15 minutes we would turn on the suits, after 5-6 minutes smoke
would erupt from armpits and crotch, pull the plug out, cool down, start
freezing, plug in the suit again. This was repeated for approximately 7 hours
for the trip. We both agreed that we knew what a slice of toast felt like
after that trip! To top it off, it started snowing in the last 2 hours and we
were pulled over by the police. 2 young guys in an open sports car, no
windshield and smoke coming out of their clothing, in the middle of the
night, during a snowstorm, wonder what made them suspicious?
Tom A