Subject: [Leica] re: Very OT, Mac/PC
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 21:45:56 -0800

At 5:03 PM -0800 2/7/00, Leica Users digest wrote:
>I have Adaptec's easy cd software at work.  Its running under Windows NT.  I
>recently made a cd with a lot of graphics and video.  The files worked fine
>on my other computer, a Mac 8500.  The long file names from NTFS were
>another thing.  The Mac (running System 7.5.5) only recognized the 8.3 dos
>filename format thus the names were truncated.  I don't know if newer Mac
>OSs recognize the NTFS filenames.

That indicates to me that you've made a DOS format CD volume, not a
Mac OS 'HFS' format volume. The Mac OS' Windows/DOS filesystem
translation module only translates at the DOS level, which is defined
as 8.3 character filenames. Windows maintains a rather complicated
meta-layer which presents the long filenames to the user and maps
them to the DOS 8.3 volume directory (FAT) structure.

>Interestingly when I email files between Windows NT or 98 and Mac machines
>the filenames come across just fine.

That's the mail client and server at work. Filenames for attachments
are fixed up by the email client and transmitted using the MIME and
SMTP protocols, so the  WinNT long file names are preserved at a Mac
recipient, and vice versa.

Godfrey