Subject: [Leica] Shutter technique
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 04:39:22 -0500

David G Prakel wrote, in part:

> (Nick showed me something about firing an M series shutter - when I first
> picked up the M4 in the shop he said "You've never used a Leica before" as I
> stabbed at the shutter release with the end of my index finger. He said "Lay
> the first joint of your index finger across the shutter 'depression' and
> simply flex the joint when you want to take a picture". Using this technique
> you can pop-off ridiculously long exposure hand-held shots with no
> significant camera shake. Is this something well known in Leica circles?)

If you want to extend that range by yet another stop or two, get one of Tom
A's softreleases and screw into the shutter release.  As with the techique
above, place either the joint or the flat part of your index finger just
past the joint on the top of the softie.  To release, simply do a
combination of squeezing and rolling your finger over the release.  For yet
more, an extra level of insanely super-stability, rest the tip of your index
finger on the camera's top plate.  You'll have to reposition your right hand
a bit for this, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be firing off stuff
at amazingly low speeds.

Bit like limbo -- how low can you go? ;)

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     | "Very funny Scotty.  Now beam down
Interactive Systems Designer      | my clothes."
email: mvhoward@mac.com           |