Subject: [Leica] 35/1.4 Summilux at f1.4
From: David G Prakel <David_Prakel@benchmark.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 08:41:52 +0000

I've been intrigued by the recent comments on the 35/1.4 Summilux as this
was the first Leica lens I got to use with my first M4.

I had been a committed Nikon user since my early teenage years and at the
time (1984) had an F2A and a Nikkormat EL with motor winder with 20mm/f4,
35mm/f2, 55mmMicroNikkor, 85mm/f2, 135 and 200mm lenses. I went along to a
Leica day at Fox Talbot in the Strand in London and met Nick Vlakos (he has
long since retired from Leica UK). I wanted a fast wide-angle lens on a
quiet body I could use for available light photography. He tried his hardest
to persuade me to buy the 35mm/f2 and not the Summilux regarding the faster
lens as being rather soft at full aperture.

I now use the 35/1.4 Summilux as a standard lens on my M6 and am constantly
delighted by the consistency in its performance and a sharpness that defies
more modern lens computations. I use it fully open without significant
problems from flare or vignetting - in fact I feel it is the most consistent
lens I've ever used in this respect. I have to agree with John Brownlow that
focus is critical and that you do have a shallow depth of field (but hey!
that's why we use rangefinder focusing).

For those who are interested I sold my Nikon birthright! After choosing the
M4 with the 35mm Summilux and a Tele-Elmarit 90mm f2.8 to work with the
Nikon system above within the year I sold all the Nikon equipment to buy a
Leica R4 with 24mm/60mmMacro Elmarit and 180mm f4. I changed the M4/MR meter
combination in 1986 for the M6 when it was new and have never looked back.
That being attested by the fact I have not bought a new piece of camera
equipment for over 15 years!

(Nick showed me something about firing an M series shutter - when I first
picked up the M4 in the shop he said "You've never used a Leica before" as I
stabbed at the shutter release with the end of my index finger. He said "Lay
the first joint of your index finger across the shutter 'depression' and
simply flex the joint when you want to take a picture". Using this technique
you can pop-off ridiculously long exposure hand-held shots with no
significant camera shake. Is this something well known in Leica circles?)
- --
David G Prakel
The Benchmark Press
http://www.cix.co.uk/~benchmark/