Subject: [Leica] asph summicron 28...
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 13:57:04 -0800

>Johnny, have you looked at the Ricoh 28mm? I need a 28mm and am considering
>it. I used to do street stuff with a couple of LSRs using  35mm and 85mm
>lenses. Now I'm using Leicas I need 28mm and 50mm.
>
>Julian

john and julian,

i had been looking for a leica 28 for my iiif - couldn't find one, except
for the occasional used hektor on ebay selling for around $800. also
stumbled over a canon 28 3.5 from time to time. it looked good, but tended
to be pricey for what i was willing to pay. i had heard of, but never seen
the ricoh 28 until i found the following listing on ricoh's japanese sight:

http://ricoh.co.jp/camera/gr-lens/index.html

the lens ain't cheap (it's listed at about $900.) but the few mentions of
it i have seen have been positive. also, i am told that it is not
commercially available outside of japan. for the iiif, i wound up buying
the skopar 25, and am very happy with that lens.

yesterday at a local camera dealer the leica guy told me that next on the
list of m lens updates was an asph summicron 28...

guy