Subject: Re: [Leica] 35/1.4 Summilux at f1.4
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 18:33:00 +0100

Bob,

While we are discussing the Summilux non-asph, I just want to add something that was completely new for me. You know, there are two versions of the Summilux 35. The first version is generally considered to be inferior to the second version (the one that Dan uses)  in all the Leica literature I have seen.
However, at http://communities.msn.com/Leicausers you will see a short discussion about the first version, and a very nice photo called "Linley" in the "leicamania album". This photo, shot wide open with the first Summilux 35, is incredibly sharp for a wide open Summilux shot.
In fact, I think it is impossible to make such a sharp shot with the second version of the Summilux 35. God knows I have tried, and I have used 3 samples of this lens...

So, the characteristics of the two Summilux non-asph lenses used wide open are indeed very different.

Now, we are discussing the second version of the Summilux. This was my first 35 mm Leica lens, bought new in 1974 for a lot more money than the Summicron 35 (in fact a better lens IMO). But I did not know much about Leica lenses in those days. However, I quickly learnt that the F/1.4 was practically useless, unless as a reserve to bring home some sort of picture. So, I always used the Lux as a F/2.0 lens...

But lately we have seen some photographers, like Dan and Chandos Michael Brown http://www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown
who have published Summilux images with a special quality. They are not as sharp as the Summilux asph, and they are softer, but they capture the atmosphere of the available light. Some would say that they paint with the light. I am not talking about resolution or contrasts now, I am talking about my subjective feelings for an image.

Bob, I will agree with everything you said in your mail, as I prefer the "snap" that a lens of good quality will get out of a wide open shot, like you say "almost shockingly jump out at you". That is why I bought the Summicron asph, in fact only for it's F/2.0 qualities.

Well, all I am really rambling about is: -The non asph Lux is a different lens, and glory to those who know how to make use of F/1.4! It is not easy...

Best,
Hans