Subject: Re: [Leica] Arrrrrrghhhhhhhh........loading M6en
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 16:33:22 -0800

Adam Bridge wrote:

>Will SOMEONE tell me the tricks and how to be SURE that the film is loaded
>right?  Talk about feeling incompetent.>>>>>>

Adam,

No tricks! it's a piece of cake and simple. A little practice and you're
laughing all the way to successful picture taking

Here you are and it's guaranteed to work everytime, no fuss no muss.

Number one.....don't think about what your doing to much and it'll come
naturally.

First: take roll of film in hand with leader in finger tips and make a
couple of tiny crimps as in the diagram:

______________________/\/\_

Then  drop the roll into the camera with the crimps inside the take-up
spool, put base plate on, prepare to advance by taking up any slack in film
first by turning the rewind crank as though you are about to rewind. As
soon as you feel  pressure...stop cranking , advance and trip shutter a
couple of times and watch the rewind crank. It'll work every time. :)

you've got the simple hang of it you'll load with your eyes closed and not
a thought about it....And eventually without crimping the film leader.

But for the moment and the foreseeable future, " crimp the leader" ....drop
in...load base plate... take up slack....advance until shutter cocked and
film advances... do this a couple of times by feel.... no need to look at
the camera film counter... look at rewind crank is turning.

When all that happens, shoot like crazy and make up for the blown rolls.:)

It's important you don't fuss over it, because the more you fuss and worry
the greater the chance of screwing up!!! If you think about it too much
you're bound to screw-up!  Drop roll in, base plate on, take-up slack,
crank and trip shutter!  You're on your way to better picture taking.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant