Subject: [Leica] R portraits
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 23:44:09 -0500

Gib Robinson wrote:

 I'd like some help choosing a portrait lens for an R8. I don't own any
lenses above 50mm that are faster than f/4 and I'd like one. As far as I
know, my choices are 80 Summilux, 90 Summicron, 100 f/2.8 APO Macro. I've
been leaning toward the 80mm 1.4 because it seems like a very workable
focal
length with ideal speed. The APO macro seems a tad long and a tweak slow in
spite of it's legendary qualities as a macro lens. What's been the
experience of this group?
<<<

My experience is with the 90 Summicron-R, the 100 APO-Macro and the 135
Elmarit-R.  IMHO the 90 is a better portrait lens than the 100 APO because
it's gentler to skin complexion than the 100, and the bokeh is more
pleasing.  The 90 is more likely to be too short than too long.  The 135 is
in the same class as the 90 Summicron-R, and is better when my subjects
want more personal space.  Both the 90 and the 135 give excellent detail
and colors but the micro-contrast and color saturation of the 100 APO are
in another league.  I also feel like the 100 is rather large to be pointing
toward someone's face, like it may be a bit intimidating to some subjects.
Of these my favorite by far for portraits is the 90.

Doug Herr
Sacramento