Subject: RE: [Leica] 35/1.4 M
From: "Jean-Claude Berger" <jcberger@jcberger.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 00:01:49 +0100

I did not think it was already released. You seem to have an experimental
Electronic Summilux born from a join venture between Leica and Adobe. They
managed to incorporate a chip in the lens that, using the work of De Broglie
about photons behavior in some specific magnetic conditions, provides the same
effect than the sharpen filter in Photoshop. I asked why they did not
incorporate other effects in the chip. Well they sold the license to Canon in
order to make some money so be prepared to the release of some Canon lenses with
a color LCD and a mouse to control effects. That said, Leica representative had
me notice that for long, they incorporated a gaussian blur option in ALL their
production since the beginning. To benefit from it, the photographer needs some
alcoholic drink. Unfortunately, it seems that some photographer/camera
combinations, in particular aging ones tend to deliver a too obvious and not
esthetical effect sometimes.

All the best,

> ...But I have noticed that woith a sharply focused dark edge against
> a medium/light background I get definite colour fringing (over a very small
> area) and the same sort of effect that you get with over-enthusiatic use of
> the sharpen filter in Photoshop - the edge detaches from the background and
> is delimited by a definite zone of brightness. Is all this normal for this
> lens? I shoot E100SW almost exclusively.

- --
Jean-Claude Berger (jcberger@jcberger.com)
Systems and RDBMS consultant (MCSE)
Lyon, France