Subject: [Leica] RE: Leica Users digest V15 #22
From: Howard Davis <HDavis@slcearch.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 15:04:00 -0600

>Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 12:52:28 +0100
>From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
>Subject: [Leica] Screens & pixels & some guttapercha
>But I remember from the LUG, that it is possible to use "guttapercha". I
>think it is used by dentists. My question is: -How do you use this
>guttapercha thing, and how does it harden? Is it any good for filling up a
>spot as large as one square inch? Is it expensive? Has anyone done this?

I've never used guttapercha. I imagine it would dry too hard and not have
the right consistancy. Besides what dentist would put black stuff in peoples
mouths. Guttapercha is probably white, so you will have to paint the surface
to match, and paint chips.
I've tried, for small areas, black silicone, which can be purchased in a
hardware store or an auto supplies store. You mask off the area you want to
repair on your camera and squeeze on the stuff, it comes in a toothpaste
like dispenser. It squeezes out smelly and sticky. You screed it off level
with the masked off area and it dries, quickly, into an odorless hard
rubbery consistancy.