Subject: Re: [Leica] Hexar RF Purchase
From: Gaifana@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 00:29:22 EST

Nice adaptors, by the way. Look great.

In a message dated 1/30/00 9:40:02 PM, leicanikon@earthlink.net writes:

<< According to a prominent Tokyo dealer who I talked with today,

1) It's starting to create a problem for Konica in the Japanese market that so
many people are buying the body only, and not the lenses  -- they have too
many
lenses and not enough bodies

This is not surprising, since that is what most people predicted it would be
- - a platform for Leica lenses. The Konica lens, as compared to the Leica
50mm, is a bit easier to operate for the large-handed, as the barrel is
bigger. It also dispenses with those little focusing nubs. And that won't be
a problem here, since it will apparently be sold only as a set (per Konica).
And the set I saw here was $2200.

2) many Konica M's have an early defect -- the RF focuses past infinity when
the
lens is at infinity

This might be true on some, but not the one I saw on Saturday. It focused
fine with its own lens, as well as your adaptors mounting Russian LTM lenses.
Maybe part of the delay on this end was quality controlling all of the units
that made it here. The infinity point I used was about 300 feet away. I don't
think that's a big problem to correct, but someone, I'm sure will claim it's
tough.

3) the Bessa RF has a noticeably better finder than the Konica

We'll see when it shows up. Magnification is one thing, but only if you're
right-eyed, since you can't shoot both eyes open left-eyed (well, on any but
some exotic Zeiss RFs). The Hexar RF finder I saw left very little to be
desired. Even compared to the M6 0.72 (which had more flare in my
observation). It is a bigger front window than on the M6, so it is low-mag,
but not squinty like a G2.

 Stephen Gandy

E Nitka wrote:

> For those on the list who have or soon will be buying this camera -
> are the any US dealers that are willing to sell just the body? or are
> all sales in the kit form?  The obvious reason to ask is that I really don't
> need another 50 mm lens or their flash unit - would just as soon use the
> Leica Flash. Any help appreciated.
>
> Ernie

</XMP>