Subject: RE: [Leica] Adjustable selective metering?
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 12:41:00 -0800

>I didn't think that's what Eastland's book really says, but I re-read the
>section cited and it certainly leave the impression that you can do spot
>metering by using the frame selection lever. You can't. At best, you can use
>the lever to give yourself a clearer idea of what the lens on the camera is
>actually metering, by bringing up the frame-line for the next-longest lens.
>For example, if you have a 35mm lens on the camera, flick the lever to bring
>up the 50mm frame-line---that box will show you the approximate metering
>area of the 35mm lens.
>
>Chuck Albertson

ah, this is what i've always understood that passage to mean: switching to
the next smallest frame-line helps you to visualize what area of the field
will be covered by the meter.

i must admit, however, that i never do this. if the scene i'm metering has
a fairly even distribution of light and dark tones, i just go with whatever
the internal meter says. if the scene is overly light or dark, i still go
with the general reading, then compensate. if it contains big areas of
bright and dark tones, i just meter for both by taking a 'half and half'
reading: a horizon with a bright sky and a detailed landscape below. i
meter off the horizon line, with the brights above and the shadows below.
stuff always comes out exposed correctly.

guy