Subject: [Leica] Lens names
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 18:07:40 -0500

Adam Bridge, a neophyte, asked:

When I look at the names of Leica lenses I find things like:

ELMARIT
SUMMILUX
TRI-ELMAR
ELMAR
SUMMICRON
APO-TELYT

Are these model names, or do they imply something about the optical design
of
the lens?
<<<

Adam,

In current usage it sez something about the lens' maximum aperture or focal
length:

ELMARIT = f/2.8
SUMMILUX = f/1.4
ELMAR = aperture smaller than f/2.8
TRI-ELMAR = 3 focal lengths, aperture smaller than f/2.8
SUMMICRON = f/2.0
APO-TELYT = big honkin' piece of glass.  Oops, I mean the TELYT part means
it's a long lens, 200mm or more, on in the case of the original APO-TELYT,
180mm.  The APO part means the lateral and longitudinal color aberations
are essentially nil, so if your pictures aren't sharp it's not the lens'
fault.

And, since I'm revealing massive ignorance which probably will result in
being
removed from this august list, I might as well ask: what's the deal with
"ASPH"
lenses.
<<<

ASPH means the design incorporates at least one glass element with an
aspherical surface.  By itself that doesn't mean anything but usually if a
manufacturer goes to the trouble and expense of producing an aspherical
surface it's because the lens designer found a way to make the lens really
really good by using the aspherical surface.  In the case of a Leica ASPH,
it's the good stuff.

Doug Herr
Sacramento