Subject: Re: [Leica] Silver gelatin and crayon resist
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 20:30:51 -0800

Mike Durling wrote:

> The term that museum curators use that really drives me nuts, and I work for
> a museum, is "object".  It's what they call anything they collect.  "This
> object, from the mid 17th century exhibits qualities of ..."  You get the
> drift.  Part of this culture we live in where you don't call anything what
> it is.  Like "chocalate flavored confection" or "spread" instead of
> margarine.
>
> Mike D
>
> <snip>
> >Galleries and museums typically use variants of formal names to describe
> >the technique used to make the print. "Platinum" is usually used to
> >denote any print made on platinum, platinum/palladium, or even pure
> >palladium emulsion. "Silver gelatin" is simply a fancy name for any
> >ordinary black-and-white paper.
><Snip>

While most informative calling a picture on the wall a Silver gelatin print
doesn't I feel do us any good.
"Oh you mean it's a photograph?" It's all downhill from there. "It's a blowup"
And although there's always room for Jello ...
Silver gelatin does not sound as good as Raspberry Jello.
Marshmallows or no marshmallows that's what I want to know?
Is that a class thing?
People should know what's in the emulsion and what that emulsion is coated on
and so on but as Mike D. and Mike J. are saying if I may paraphrase:
pretentiousness is to be avoided at all costs. Close?
Let' em guess that's what I say! Let em eat palladium with no marshmallows!
Mark Rabiner
and platinum sprinkles!