Subject: Re: [Leica] Which M
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 06:34:39 +0000

Jeffcoat Photography wrote:
>Your thoughts on this are welcome. For the ability to be discreet, quiet
>and quick I want to add some "M" cameras to my bag. They will be used
>for Photo journalistic images at weddings. I want to shoot with the
>35/50 and 75's all in 1.4. The question is which of the M's would give
>me the best all around camera, minimal repair needs

Wilber

Your mention of the 75 lens means that you will need one of the M6s which
has a meter or the M4-P which is meterless but not really a drawback as you
are also using a handheld meter anyway. IMHO, all the M cameras (I'm not
too sure about the M5 as I have no experience) should be reliable
workhorses and in good hands will require only a CLA periodically.  Having
used the M3, M2, M4 and M6, I am more inclined to use the M6 a wee bit more
(currently I am toting a M2 + 35/3.5 summaron for kicks) because of the
convenience of the meter which I have found is able to give me reliable
readings.

If I might add, if you are using the M camera for a living then go for the
current crop of lenses which are in a class of their own and will produce
pictures of current vintage look and has the optical attributes of modern
lens designs. If you are going to enjoy your picture making
("making" as in the sense of artistry), try out some of the older vintage
optics and you'd be quite pleased with the period look that you get -
especially on monochrome films. Who knows, your clients might even be
thrilled with some retro-look shots taken of them in monochrome and with a
leica 1950 lens!

Dan K.