Subject: Re: [Leica] Platinum & Gelatin Leica Prints (archival?)
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 20:26:59 -0800

MGMcGough@aol.com wrote:

> Would someone please explain to me what is meant by the galleries
> that sell photographic prints usage of the terms platinum or gelatin
> prints from Leicas & others. Does this mean toned prints for archival
> reasons?  I wonder how many of the noted Leica users that became
> famous & sell their original prints for big bucks, do their printing.
>
> Mary G.

The way I see it once you expose that 35mm neg with your Leica Camera there are
lots of options as to what you then want to do with it other than RC or Epson.
Plenty of printing options. Metals, papers, substrates, toners and mounting
decisions. Sizes.
For platinum, palladium, gum printing and others you do have to make an enlarged
neg first though.
And I think there is a digital link in there now as you can scan the neg, play
with it and output it to a larger neg for separations or spot colors.
These larger negs are required as lots of these alternate processes require
contact printing.
The possibilities are exciting!! I plan on delving into it I thought I would
have done so by now. Still mastering the Gelatin Silver print.
There's always room for Jello!
Mark Rabiner