Subject: [Leica] Leica viability
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 17:10:56 -0700

There has been a great deal of concern expressed on the subject of Leica's
viability. There also have been reports of how well the M line is doing and
that the R line is not performing profitably. The worst scenario that I can
see happening (barring a direct hit on Solms by a stray asteroid) would be
that Leica is purchased by another company and the profitable sections would
keep operating as usual and the unprofitable sections would be wound down or
reworked. This sort of rationalisation happens all of the time and
spectacularly unprofitable "name" companies have been turned around
successfully. Ford's purchase of Jaguar and Aston Martin, and BMW's purchase
of Rover come to mind. Now please let us not start a "ญญญญ" ruined "ญญญญญ"
thread. I think the long term future for the M line is bright and, if the
right strategic or corporate alliances are pursued, the R line can be turned
around as well.

John Collier