Subject: Re: [Leica] Brit Weeklies
From: Ed Buziak <ed.buziak@camera-and-darkroom.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 07:06:03 +0000

Mike,

During two periods from the late 60s through to the early 80s we also had
two other weekly photo magazines in the UK. One was called "Camera Weekly"
but another very interesting one was called "Photo News Weekly" and, I kid
you not, it was a newspaper!.. slightly larger than what is now called
"tabloid", but smaller than "broadsheet". It ran a weekly "photo assignment"
with a set theme. The paper came out on a Wednesday with the set weekend
assignment which you had to shoot and print for the following week to be
published the following week (I used to *love* those deadlines <g>). The
chosen prints scored points from 5 to 100, and provision of a relevant
contact sheet gained 5 extra points. I won a Pentax Spotmatic and an OM-1
for my efforts over the four years I entered, plus many weekly cheques...
which at the time were so small they were actually Postal Orders for half or
one guinea (10/6d or £1.1s.0d in not quite so old money) to be cashed at the
PO. These riches got me going so much I eventually tossed in my exceedingly
well-paid job at the local TV station and became a freelance snapper and
scriber... ah well, money isn't everything <s>.

Ed Buziak / Publisher
"Camera & Darkroom"

ed.buziak@camera-and-darkroom.co.uk

* Web site under construction *