Subject: [Leica] Impression of 75-200 f/4.5 Zoom
From: "Robert Rose" <rjr@usip.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 11:26:07 -0800

I recently borrowed a Vario-Elmar 75-200 f/4.5 zoom.  This was the Minolta produced version.

I thought I would be disappointed in the results, but I was wrong.  Comparing to results from my APO 100mm, and 35-70 f/4 ASPH zoom, the slides (EVS 100) were not that easy to tell apart on a light table.

The 100 APO had better contrast on the slides, but the 75-200 zoom images (taken at f5.6 and f8) were in the same league as the 35-70 f/4 ASPH zoom.

When I scanned the images and printed them on my Epson PhotoEx, you could not tell which came from which lens.

The 75-200 can be had for about 1/3 of a used 80-200.  If you don't mind the push-pull focusing, try it.  You might like it and save a bundle.

Bob Rose