Subject: [Leica] was:Ted Grant's Ravings, Ted responds :)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 07:53:00 -0800

Bob Bedwell wrote:

>Yes, Peter we must accept the fact that there is a new generation of
>photographers that aren't the least bit impressed that the Leicas today are
>made the way they were when we were kids.  They relate to Playstations,
>computers and digital cameras.  There is not much that you, Ted or I can do
>to stop it and I am not sure that I would stop it if I could.  The next "M"
>camera must address these issues or it's life is definitely in question.
>
>Bob
>
>P.S.  Ted, although I referenced you in this note you don't have to respond.
>You never do and it doesn't make any difference anyway.

Hi Bob mon ami,

Actually I was going to on this one.:) I had figured everyone was doing
such a good effort of "ranting" on previous posts it didn't need me to
screw it up.;)

However!

You're right about the younger generations, as they've grown up in the
magical changes electronics have given to their world, ours.

However, they really don't care with "fiddling things" when they turn on
switch "A", everything lights up, apeture automatically to right size,
shutter speed flashes it's ready to shoot. And click! How about "eye
sensitive focus?" It's like, "Who needs to fiddle those little wheels and
ringie thingies?"

So why would any of them be immpressed with a "model T" Leica, when the
bells and whistles make it happen faster than they think? Their images are
in focus, correctly exposed and they get satisfaction with: "Gee my
pictures look neat!" "or cool!" results,

So in reality it is us "old folks and in betweener's" who have the joys of
the old days in smooth handling, doing it a little slower, time consumming.
Yet we appreciate in a different manner, the joys of automation probably
more so than the young ones, as we've had the fun of living and working in
the "good old days." Like it, buy it, set it, shoot it, all by hand.

The bottom end is twofold:

One. We should accept the changing times of automation in our camera's
"M88?" and be prepared to accept that it's the tone of the times.

Two. Make an effort to pass on our experience with fine manual equipment,
so the auto-generation will appreciate what manual is, that it gives one
great satisfaction to do "something for ones self." Rather than a computer
chip blinking in the viewfinder...."press button now!"

Did you like the response? :)

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant