Subject: Re: [Leica] A trip to Paris: X-ray safety
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 19:58:41 -0700

It depends. If you go through the majority of hand baggage inspection sites
it will lessen the amount of x-rays hitting the film and the worst that will
happen is the guard will insist you take it out of the protective bag and
run it through again. In the large international airports they are starting
to install high powered smart X-ray machines for inspecting carry on
baggage. The first pass is very low power but your lead protective bag will
trigger a narrow high intensity probe of the "suspicious" parcel toasting
even moderate speed film! PopPhoto and Shutterbug have been running articles
on this problem and the results are chilling indeed. Film should be carried
on in clear plastic bags out of all packaging. Begging and pleading for a
hand inspection sometimes works but do not count on it (I am talking about
outside of Canada and USA). If I was shooting high speed film I would
process it. The machines do not damage processed film (yes folks remember
you read it here first).

John Collier