Subject: Re:[Leica] Transitions in photography
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 21:36:35 -0500

Simon Coates wrote:

My impressions are that the Leica system is vastly superior to my previous
outfit (Minolta 9000 AF based) in every respect.  It is just so nice to
use!
Fantastic engineering.  I now enjoy photography in a way I never have done
previously.
<<<

The R-users among us are just nodding our heads and thinking "yup.  sounds
about right."

My basic conclusions on the lenses are as follows:
Elmarit 28mm f/2.8 - no distortion, vignetting or flare (even with the sun
almost directly in front of the lens!!!).  Amazing sharpness, even fully
open in the corners, no point stopping down - sharper at f/2.8 than the
Minolta 28/2.8 at f/8 in the corners.
Summicron 50mm f/2 - very sharp at f/2, becomes truly razor sharp at
f/4.5-f/8.
Elmarit 100mm f/2.8 APO macro - one of the best lenses in the world;  close
ups are so sharp and realistic.
<<<

yup.

I don't miss auto-everything; the R6.2 is a lovely camera and having to do
everything myself is very satisfying.
<<<

yup.  It's amazing how many gizmos are unnessesary when the camera is
designed right in the first place.  Welcome to R.

Doug Herr
Sacramento