Subject: [Leica] Re: Noctilux Result????
From: "Jim Bielecki" <bieleckj@freeway.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 20:44:09 -0500

> <<<The F1.0 Noctilux made it appearance in 1976.>>>>>>
>
> I owned and was using a Noctilux f 1.0 in 1967 and have used the same lens
> since! And with quite startlingly good results. You may have made a typo
on
> the date. Is that possible?
>
> As far as an, "apple and oranges comparison?" I think not, as there really
> isn't any comparison to the Noctilux. Yes there is the Canon f.1.0 and the
> f.0.95, but neither are in the same league as the Noctilux.  It stands
> completely on it's own without comparison.
>
> And after 33 years experience with this lens I wouldn't touch any other
50mm
> lens! Yep some maybe crisper looking under some conditions, but it doesn't
> matter, as they don't look like anything at f.1.0 when you need it and
they
> don't have it.

Ted,

Eastland, in the Leica M Compendium, says that the 50mm F1.0 Noctilux was
introduced in 1976 while the F1.2 Noctilux was introduced in 1966.

My point was that optical science, as well as the manufacturing abilities of
a camera/lens manufacturer, change and improve over time.  No argument that
the F1.2 or 1.0 Noctilux are both much better than either of the two Canon's
we're talking about, but they better be considering they were designed years
later.

BTW, I too recently watched "Tom Jones" and was so impressed with some of
the dim-light scenes that were shot with the Canon F0.95 lens, that I
recently picked up the TV version of this lens, in a c-mount, which I plan
to mount on a movie or video camera.  It only cost me a $110.00 so I
couldn't pass it up.

Jim Bielecki