Subject: Re: [Leica] Location
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 03:45:02 -0500

Gammanyne@aol.com wrote, in part:

> Was there a non ttl .85?

There was, indeed, a non-TTL .85, assuming that we're referring to flash
metering here.  The .85 Classic (as it seems to be known) had the same TTL
ambient light metering as the M6 .72 Classic, it just didn't have flash TTL.

Also, like the classic M6, it also had the smaller shutter speed dial which
turned the same way as all Leica M's preceeding the M6TTL cameras.  This had
no "OFF" position.  The casing of the classic M6 cameras was about 2mm lower
than that of the current TTLs.

However, the M6 .85 Classic was introduced only a short while before the
M6TTL came out, which means that around 3,000 of these babies exist.  And
yes, you guessed it correctly, anything Leica produced in numbers of 3,000
or less has a shoal of collectors swimming around it like sharks in a
feeding frenzy.  So, prices are... well, stupid, not to put to fine a point
on it.

Occasionally, you'll see s/h M6 .85 Classics turn up for sale, but their
price seems to be about the same as or higher than the new M6TTL 0.85.
Guess it boils down to how quickly you need it and how much warranties and
guarantees are worth to you.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     | "Very funny Scotty.  Now beam down
Interactive Systems Designer      | my clothes."
email: mvhoward@mac.com           |