Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Fuji building an M
From: Leon Davenport <leonjdav@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 14:37:39 -0800

The M6 is not an anachronism.  It is the best camera made for close wide
angle work.  It is quiet and more importantly unremarkable in appearance.
In a world of bright, big and loud cameras the Leica M6 is usually
overlooked. That is one of its strengths.  To be able to move with out
drawing too much attention.  It is also supremely well made.

I agree that Leica must do something to remain viable.  The question is, do
we as Leica enthusiasts want them to offer an entry level camera or lens
system.  I remember Nikon doing that about 25 years ago.  Was it successful?
It enabled me to get in to the system.  It made the name Nikon - in popular
culture - synonymous with quality cameras.

I am ambivalent.  I want Leica to survive and like it is now.  A company
that caters to people that want something more.  Lenses that are superior to
any others whatever your criteria.

I don't know if I'd care if Leica allowed another lens maker to make lenses
with a Leica mount.  It would give us choices as to what lens we want to
use.  Why pay $1900 for a lens that you will use only a few times when you
can get one for half the price - if it can do what you want it to.

I have read on this list that some of us wish that Leica would make an auto
focus camera.  I don't think that will happen unless another camera
manufacturer has the technology and is willing to share it - for a price.
That price could be using Leica designers to design lenses for them or for
Leica to allow them to make lenses or cameras with a Leica mount!

In any case I believe that Leica has to make some tough choices.  To join
forces with another camera manufacturer.  Create a lesser lens line. Or hope
that consumer cameras can buoy the bottom line so they can continue to
provide us with the cameras and lenses that we crave.

Leon.

- --

ljdavenportphotography.com is a webfolio of my best work.  It has color and
black and white images.  Landscapes taken on a trip through Death Valley and
south western Nevada highlight the current offerings.  Please stop by and
enjoy.